Saturday, November 16, 2013

THE GOLD ONE....Storm Iq Tour Pearl





IQ Tour Pearl,
The ball that won PDW his 10th major title of his career.
Personally,I am not a big fan of pearlized balls for they always give me the unable to play carrydown impression,hence most of my balls are either solid balls or hybrid(which I grow to love them for they give me the additional length that solids don’t).
Had a few friends who bought this ball but they were complaining that the ball has got a lot of temperament and is a beast that is hard to control,so a lot of them ditched the ball after a few sessions with it,hence making me kinda skeptical about getting the ball.
Well when PDW won the major with the ball,I was telling myself maybe its time to take a good look at the ball again plus after trying 2 of storm’s international iq series balls in the IQ300 which has a PFT™ - Progressive Friction Technology Hybrid Reactive cover and the IQ Score which has a PFT™ - Progressive Friction Technology Pearl Reactive cover and the C3™ Centripetal Control Core which is not flippy, I have decided to drill up a iq tour pearl.
As usual it was laid out in 75 x 5 x 40 which actually allows me to play lanes that are over/under and easy to control, more hand on the ball which this lay out it will flip harder,less hand,it will just arc into the pocket nicely. No weight hole needed as I had a piece with a low top weight,kept in OOB.
First time I played with it was on lanes that was 36 feet oiled lanes relatively thick oil, it was versatile for me as I was able to play straight down the 5th board with it and as the night progressed on,I was able to move in until the 30th board while maintaining the breakpoints from 5th to 15th boards, despite the fact that at break point 15th board,sometimes the ball will hit light, it still carried well,and maybe of the core,it wasn’t as flippy as what you would expect out of pearlized balls usually.
2nd outing with the ball,I was playing it on a house with super thin on which I usually would use a ball for drier lanes or urethane but with this ball I was able to stay in on the 3ith board,swing the ball out to the 3rd and it will just flip and carries the pins,as if the light oil doesn’t not even affects the ball at all,does not even have the issue of ball laboring.
3rd outing was at a house with 40ft of oil,oh well, I thought I was killing myself by using such a ball on a 40ft oiled lanes but boy I was wrong,all I needed was just to play down the arrow,it doesn’t make a big hook off the breakpoint but it does carries the pins,as the games weared on a due to the high volume of oil,carry down was fast and I move parallel either left or right and I was able to play the lanes again,up till the point where parallel movement was not carrying,I just took a 1000 grit pad sanded it down by hand and it was able to play the lanes again and when the 1000 grit was not carrying all I needed was to take out the 500 grit pad,sand down by hand and it just goes on and on,like the energizer rabbit not losing any reaction in midlane or off the breakpoint.

This ball is truly a versatile ball like what was advertised and advocated by the pros,with the right lay out and right surface preparations,you have a definite winner and now I have 2 of these,one already drilled up and another one for keeping in case I need another different lay out.
Do not hesitate to play with the surface of the ball,this ball is just another ball waiting to be inducted to the hall of fame of bowling balls (if there is any)

 note: grip was initially for conventional grip due to some injury i had to the finger but has been plugged up to finger tip grip.


0 comments:

Post a Comment